Weekend Update…Posted on March 25, 2017 by Beth Markel
I finished this improve piece this week, and love how it turned out. When doing improve, some quilters start with what they WANT their quilt to look like, which I have done in the past, and some quilters go in with a completely blank agenda and just use what’s in front of them. That was me this week! Since the challenge was to use what we had, I dug out 2 of my stash containers and came up with this. Looking at my stash bins, I could probably do this, or something similar, about a dozen times over – which I think I might tackle. The only real choices I made after the 2 elements were done (triangles are old, from a long-ago project & I made the strip string sets from what was in my stash bin) were how to put them together. After a couple of false starts, or flat-out ugly attempts, I thought I’d tie the colors together using a solid. Because of the parameters of the challenge, I did have 2 “grout” choices, brown and a dark slate blue, but found yardage at the bottom of one of my stash bins. The first piece was a large cut of snowy, bright white fabric, which completely washed out the colors of both the strips and the triangles, and the 2nd was what I used, a darkish purple/navy cherrywood. Love how this turned out!
On a 2nd project I’m working on, I’m trying to find the right look/ink/pen that will write on dupioni silk. Thanks to our SAQA email thread, I’ve gotten a number of suggestions, so will try them today and post my results. I never thought I would work with silk, perhaps just because I was intimidated by stories I’ve heard about sewing it, but I backed these gorgeous silk colors, and am working with it. My initial problem was that I wanted to print, or ink-stamp, words on the silk, but everything I tried initially was running/bleeding through the porous silk fibers.
Make something beautiful today!